SYMBIOSIS





sym-bi-o-sis:

1. The living together of two dissimilar organisms, as in mutualism, commensalism or amensalism.
2. Any interdependent or mutually beneficial relationship between two beings.


Living in a tropical country can be an exercise in tolerance. On a daily basis I encounter some kind of insect or animal in various intimate places. Whether it be my bed, the shower, the garden or beyond, I am constantly being made aware of the fact that I'm sharing space with several other creatures. There's no point in screeching and pointing, as I would've done in Canada....these things are here to stay and are generally harmless providing you approach them armed with forethought and knowledge.

Stray dogs and mosquitos are to be expected--in fact strict daily measures are taken to make sure that neither of these beings bite you. Then there are the bats, the monkeys and the mongooses, the monitor lizards, the giant flying cockroaches, and a myriad of other things that scuttle around in the bushes making weird noises.

It's got me thinking about symbiosis and the idea that every living being shares an interdependence which in turn serves to benefit creation. Exisiting in harmony with these animals is a kind of meditative practice, a way for me to extricate my fear of the unknown. By choosing to learn about their habits and limitations, I have also been developing a better grasp on the scope and breadth of nature.

I sincerely doubt that the Thalagoya (monitor lizard) I just encountered is thinking deeply about my limitations though. I have a feeling his instincts are telling him everything he needs to know.

I read somewhere that animals' senses are so heightened, so aware that they live completely in each and every moment.

Might not be such a bad thing to live by instinct. Would definitely cut back on all the time spent blogging ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment