Colombo





Colombo is fast becoming one of my favorite cities in the world. It may be because I have a strong connection with the culture, having grown up surrounded by it's idiosyncracies for my entire life. It may be because it's in a tropical country, on the ocean--and we all know how happy that makes me.
But I think it's more than that. I think (and I'm still investigating this thought) that it's because it has a little bit of everything. The muslim call to prayer everyday reminds me that religion is the root of everything. The giant television screens in Cinnamon Gardens remind me that you can't stop progress. The three-wheeled taxis, called Tuk Tuks are an evolution of the rickshaw. They start by pulling a cord, much like starting a lawn-mower. The giant war memorials are a de-volution of progressive thought. There are trucks that drive around selling freshly baked bread and men pushing carts full of vegetables. Oxen share the street with SUVs, the air smells like coconut and burning garbage and ladies get manicures in lush salons while one-armed beggars call out for money to every passer-by.
It is strange and familiar all at the same time, and I completely adore it. It seems like there is no end to the mysteries of this city. It seems as though it will continually keep me guessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment